This is one of Mr. Betty’s favorite soups that I make. Adapted from one of Giada’s recipes, this is an easy one. Healthy and delicious, it makes a huge amount. We use them for a week’s worth of lunches and snacks.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 6 oz tomato juice
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup dried lentils
- 1 zucchini, chopped into 1/2 inch thick half moons
- 1 yellow squash, chopped into 1/2 inch thick half moons
- Parmesan cheese and basil, for garnish
Add the spices and cook for two minutes before stirring in tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice and salt.
Next add the broth, beans, zucchini and squash. Bring to a boil, then lower and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh basil.